Recipe: Best mince pies
Could these be the best mince pies in Dubai? Try the recipe and taste for yourself…
- Serves: 12 mini pies
- Prep 2 hours
- Cook 30 mins
For the Pie filling
- Mixed spice 2 tsp
- Vegetable suet 285g
- Apple 225g
- Mixed peel 125g
- Sultanas 225
- Raisins 225g
- Currants 225g
- Sugar 175g
For the pastry
- Flour 500g
- Sugar 150g
- Eggs 2
- Butter 200g
- Water 100ml
- Heat oven to 180C/fan
- In large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Stir well making sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover the bowl with foil and place in the warmed oven for 2 hours. At the end of this time the suet will have melted.
- Leave to one side to cool, stirring from time to time. The stirring is important as it helps to evenly distribute the fruits as the mixture cools
- In a food processor mix the flour and the butter until they resemble a breadcrumb texture, remove and place onto a floured work surface.
- Mix eggs and sugar and add to the mixture, add the water and gently mix all together to form a smooth dough.
- Cover with cling film or a damp towel and allow to rest in the chiller for at least 30 mins.
- Once rested and the filling has cooled, remove the pastry and dust a work surface with flour, roll out the pastry to a thickness of 1/4inch.
- Using a round cutter, depending on the size you would like, cut out circles and place into a greased muffin tray,
- Fill the pies with pie filling and using the remaining pastry.
- cut even smaller circles (star shapes look really cool) for the top.
- Brush with a mixture of one egg and 100ml milk and bake for approx. 30mins.
- Once out of the oven immediately sprinkle icing sugar and allow cooling before eating.
Recipe provided by Senara restaurant and chef.