Recipe: Best roast turkey
Spending Christmas at home in Dubai this year? We’ve got the best roast turkey recipe for you and your loved ones to enjoy…
- Serves: 6 with leftovers
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 3 hours mins
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 15g rosemary
- 15g thyme
- 4 to 4.5kg fresh whole turkey (giblets removed)
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 210°C, fan oven 200°C,
- Work the skin away from the flesh of the bird and rub the 100g butter between the skin and the flesh, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Rub any remaining butter over the skin of the bird.
- Season with salt pepper.
- Set the bird on top of the onions and carrots and cook for 30 mins to allow the skin to colour.
- Melt the remaining 100g butter in a pan and add the rosemary and thyme.
- Reduce the temperature to 130°c, brush the turkey with the herb butter and cook until the thickest part around the neck or thigh reaches 70°C.
- Continue basting every 45 minutes (if you use all the butter continue with the juices in the tray.This should take around 3 hours, depending on the size of the turkey.
- Always check the thickest part when testing if it is cooked that none of the meat is pink, and the juices run clear.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
- Reserve the pan juices and vegetables for making the gravy.
- Remove the vegetables and the juices from the tray, place onto a low heat stove, add 2 tablespoons of flour and mix, slowly add the juices and allow to boil helping to remove all the flavor from the tray.
- Add the vegetables and allow to cook until you have a nice thick gravy, strain and serve.
Recipe provided by Senara restaurant and chef.